Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Ark Prep 101 - Bag Meals!

It's finally time to start putting together some
Bag Meals
for your food storage.
Bag Meals are probably one of the greatest things ever invented,
especially with busy schedules and tight budgets.
Just a quick review . . .
A Bag Meal is basically a bag containing
all of the ingredients you would need to make a meal,
with the exception of the Pantry Items.
For Example: oil, vanilla, vinegar, peanut butter . . . etc.
When you see this*in the recipe you know it's a Pantry Item.
I'm excited about the things you will learn,
and I can't wait to see you stretch a little bit out of your comfort zones
to try new things.
(It's like church approved livin' on the edge . . . so exciting!)
Bag Meals will give you the chance to start canning some meats, 
making your own cheese and yogurt, and learning
how to dehydrate fruits and veggies.
Don't Worry . . .
You don't have to be an "Advanced Canner" or a "Pioneer" to put together a bag meal.
Your shopping list will include familiar items that can be purchased at
your local grocery store!
Just for FUN . . .
If you can guess what's in the wheel barrel, YOU could WIN a prize!
Seriously . . . The first 5 people to guess right will win a prize.
I bet you're wondering what the prize is.
Soooo exciting . . .
It's my 10 Steps to Organized Book!
(Just leave a comment and the first 5 correct answers . . . will be the winners!)
Whew . . . sorry to get so sidetracked,
I just got so excited when I figured out what was in the wheel barrel,
I thought it would be a fun challenge for you as well.
Now we can get back down to business!
Each week I will post a Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Dessert,
as well as a Master Shopping List.
The meal will include a Contents List and the Recipe.
Here's What You Will Need:
Plastic Gift Bags
(8" x 5" x 10" bags with a 3/4" handle)
I am still waiting for my gift bags.
In the meantime . . .
I'm using muslin bags (I had left over from a project). The plastic
gift bags work very well and are a lot less expensive.
I paid $1.00 for each of my muslin bags,
and the plastic gift bags only cost .25 cents each.
Just thought I'd let you know so that you wouldn't be confused
when you see the pictures of my bag meals.
Here's a link for the bags:
(You will need 1 bag for each Menu Option.)
Bag Contents:
 
  Recipe:
  Instructions:
 a Sharpie Marker,
This will be used to write the Best Used By Date.
It can be removed with alcohol when the contents are replaced
and a new date needs to be added.
and some Ribbon to attach the cards to the bag.
I used a 4 different colors of ribbon.
A different color for - Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Dessert.
(This makes it easy to see at a glance what's in the bag.)
You Will Also Need:
Canning Jars
and
Assorted Sizes of Ziploc Bags.
Quart bags will hold a little over 2 cups.
Snack Bags will hold 1 cup.
Here's Today's Breakfast Bag Meal:
Simply Sweet Country Muffins and Fruit!
Here's the PDF:
Bag Contents List:
1 Bottle of Water
1 Gallon-Sized Ziploc Bag of Dry Ingredients
1 Small Ziploc Bag for Topping
1 Can Butter
Here's the Recipe:
2 cups Flour
2/3 cup Sugar
2 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1 1/2 Tbsp. Powdered Egg + 3 Tbsp. Water or 1 Large Egg
3 1/4 Tbsp. Powdered Milk mixed with 1 cup + 2 Tbsp. Water or
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. Milk
6 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter, Melted and Slightly Cooled
(For the bag meals you will use canned butter.)
*1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Topping:
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
2 Tbsp. Butter, Melted and Cooled
Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Butter the bottoms of 12 standard-size muffin cups and set the pan aside.
Whisk the dry ingredients together.
In a separate bowl whisk the egg until it's frothy.
Blend the milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid mixture.
Use a wooden spoon to mix the batter just until it's evenly blended.
Spoon into muffin cups, filling to about two-thirds full.
Bake muffins on the center rack for 15 minutes.
Empty the bag of cinnamon sugar into a small bowl.
Melt the butter in a small bowl.
Rotate pan for an additional 5-7 minutes.
Let pan cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes.
Remove the muffins.
While muffins are warm, dip the tops in butter and then cinnamon sugar mixture
one at a time until you have finished all of them.
Serve immediately.
Makes 12 Muffins.
Add a bottle of fruit
and you have a great breakfast in a bag!

50 comments:

sheri said...

I am guessing cow pies, used to heat the old wood burning stove.

Susan said...

I would guess that the wheel barrel holds cow patties, cow poop, cow dung...take you pick. I heard it makes great firewood!

Ann's ART said...

My guess is that they are buffalo chips????
I really need that book!
-Ann Gardner

Anne said...

I can't remember how I found your blog but I love it. It helps me feel like getting prepared is manageable and not something to stress (too much) over! The background is also my bedroom quilt so it makes me happy! :) Anyways, I guess your little game called me out as a lurker but I was overdue to say thanks for such a great blog. And I'm guessing they are cow pies (but if they aren't, maybe I'm a crazy just for suggesting that!) Thanks again!

Dan,Lisa,Zeak,Jake,Kaci said...

I have recently discovered your site and I LOVE IT! My guess on what is in the wheel barrel is cowpies. If I am right my e-mail address is lisa@lisasvinylcreations.com
Thanks for all of your wonderful ideas!

Julie said...

My guess is - cowpies!
Lovin' the bag meals.
thanks Tricia.

Jules said...

They are cowpies! They used them for fuel, I believe. I actually have the 10 steps to Organized book, and it is fabulous- is there anything else you might have for a prize? :)

Susan said...

My guess for what is in the wheel barrel would be cow patties...or cow pies. I heard it makes great firewood!

I'm not the most computer savvy...so I hope I only have one post, not two. Sorry if there are two.

Thanks for sharing your talents with so many of us. :)

Turbojunkie said...

Please don't think I am gross or anything, but my guess to what is in the wheel barrel is cow "pies". The pioneers used to collect the dried ones and use them as fuel for their fires.

Valerie said...

I'm thinking that wheel barrow is full of good old buffalo chips!

admin. said...

Lets try this again......my computer FreAked OuT!!!
I am not in your ward but i heart your blog and love to organize EveryThing!
They are buffalo chips in the wheel barrow....that they would burn?.... yes, i ThInK Im right :} Thanks Loni

Unknown said...

What a cool idea - I've never heard of bag meals but I'm willing to get out of my comfort zone and try it. Thanks for sharing
Is the wheelbarrow loaded with buffalo chips?

Josh and Nikki said...

mmm...what cows and buffalo leave in a field after they've eaten? :)

Anonymous said...

okay tricia-
is the wheelbarrow full of buffalo chips?
from california

sayer13 said...

Love your blog.....follow it every day. My guess for the wheelbarrow fillings are buffalo chips.

Tara M said...

Buffalo Chips-to make fire!

CindyG said...

I think it looks like coal

S and K said...

Are they buffalo chips?

Danielle said...

Dung?

eric_danielle at netzero dot com

Stephanie said...

I think the wheelbarrow is full of buffalo poo!! (recently discovered your website & love it! Thanks for sharing!)

Unknown said...

My guess is Buffalo chips. AKA DRIED POOP. I read they used them to cook with kinda like charcoal.

Renee said...

I'm going out on a limb here, but is that buffalo dung? I know pioneers used it for fuel...I'm grateful we've moved past that!

Shari said...

I am pretty sure she has buffalo chips (poop for the fire) in her wheel barrow

Mike and Emily said...

I think the wheelbarrow contains Buffalo Chips. Mmmm

Shari said...

I am pretty sure she has buffalo chips (poop to burn) in her wheel barrow.

Anonymous said...

Buffalo Chips?

Carter's Creations said...

Really, is she carrying a wheelbarrow full of cowpies? Maybe I am just stuck on the primary song where the kids gathered "chips for wood". :)

Rayel said...

I would bet the things in the wheelbarrow are cow pies that were used for fire starters.

I think this is a great. We will be putting meals in a bags at our house.

Denise said...

I will take a guess. I think they are bufflo dung. Pioneers used to use them as firewood on the praire because wood was not easily found.

Brenda said...

I think it is Buffalo Chips in the wagon.
Thanks again for you hard work.

Brooke said...

Cow pies?

Anonymous said...

buffalo chips!

Anonymous said...

Buffalo Chips!

Cari said...

cow patties

Camille Brown said...

It looks like buffalo or cow pies to me. Yum!

colds1 said...

Dried cow pies? Or buffalo? Or whatever other big animal left droppings like that?

Unknown said...

My guess for the wheelbarrow is...Buffalo Chips.

Carrie

Pam said...

Are those cow "patties"? Not exactly good in food storage...but certainly helpful for cooking the food storage. :)

Janelle Savage said...

I think they are buffalo Chips!!!!!

Rebecca said...

Obviously it's a picture of a wheel barrel full of buffalo chips, right?

Pam said...

Those are Buffalo Chips in the wheelbarrow!

kimber said...

they are bufflo chips!!! that is my final answer!!

Jorgensen's said...

my guess was sun dried cow pies but looks like i'm no genious since about a million other people guessed the same! but I think you are amazing and I LOVE all of your fantastic ideas! Thanks for sharing!

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

You are all sooo smart . . . and YOU'RE RIGHT!
Way to Go!!!

Shari said...

Tricia, for the muffins are you suppose to put the powdered egg and the powdered milk in separate small ziploc bags or combine them with all the dry ingredients in the gallon size bag and just add the water to all of the dry ingredients when you make them?

Anonymous said...

There is no pdf file to download. Maybe my computer is having problems. I am so excited about the bag meals.
Thanks

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

The PDF file is on the way! My phone line was cut in the middle of my post and it's still not working very well. I get internet moments, but that's about it right now. It's on the way.
Thanks for being so patient!
Trish

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

If you use the powdered version of the milk and eggs, you can just add them righ into the dry mix ingredients.
I'm changing the PDF so that it will be easier to read. I'm putting things into clear categories.
It should be ready soon!
Trish

Anonymous said...

Um, I know I'm too late to guess what was in it, but it IS a "wheel BARROW" not a "barrel"...

Regardless, I absolutely LOVE your blog, which I just found today!!! I have spent over an hour already just reading through the posts... even the one's for organizing kids - and I DON'T HAVE KIDS!!! LOL!!! They are ALL great ideas!

Tricia, TOO!

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

Thanks for setting me straight. I started with wheel barrow but changed it just before I hit post . . . sooo close, yet sooo far from being correct!