Friday, July 16, 2010

Bag Meal: Lunch - PBJ's on Homemade Bread!

Today's Bag Meal Lunch Menu:
Peanut Butter and Jam Sandwiches on Homemade Bread!
It seems too simple to be a bag meal . . .
but it's a meal that even the pickiest of eaters will eat 
making it perfect for a Bag Meal.
This Bag Meal uses a Mix to make the bread.
The bread is delicious and super easy to make.
(This recipe is perfect for the beginning or the advanced bread maker.)
This is a great Solar Oven recipe!
This is a Mix Recipe you haven't gotten yet, so . . .
Here it is:
Homemade Bread Mix Recipe
For a Large Batch:
Combine:
8 cups Sugar
4 cups Dehydrated Shortening
1 cup Salt
Note:
This mix makes 60 loaves of either white or whole wheat bread!
(Or - 15 Bag Meal Starts)
If you're serious about adding Bag Meals to your food storage,
I would go ahead and make the big batch . . . we will be using
this recipe for other bag meals.
If you want to try it before you make enough for 60 loaves . . .
Here's the Recipe for a single batch of bread:
Combine 1/2 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Dehydrated Shorteneing
1 Tbsp. Salt
To Make the Bread:
Sprinkle 2 Tbsp. yeast into 2 cups warm water.
Let stand until yeast dissolves and begins to foam.
Add:
3 cups Warm Water
3/4 cup Homemade Bread Mix
3/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten, Optional
Knead in about 10-11 cups of flour to make a soft dough.
Continue kneading for 8-10 minutes.
Shape and place in four well-greased medium-sized bread pans.
Let rise until double in bulk, about 25-45 minutes.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
Remove loaves from pans and place side by side on a towel.
Cover completely with the towel and place on a rack to cool.
Makes 4 medium loaves.
Now that you have the Bread Mix Recipe we can put
all of the contents into the bag.
Lunch Bag Contents:
Quart-Sized Ziploc Bag with 3/4 cup Homemade Bread Mix
and 3/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten.
Gallon-Sized Ziploc Bag with 11 cups of Flour.
2 (9-ounce) Bottles of Water
*Yeast
Yeast stores better in the freezer
so it will not be included in the bag.
Make sure you have plenty of it on hand!
1 Small Jar of Peanut Butter
1 Jar of Jam
1 Can of Butter
That's It!
Remember to make your bread in the morning so that it
will be ready in time for lunch!
Here's the PDF:
Contents List
Recipe
Instructions:
Print, Cut, and Laminate Tags.
Attach all three to the bag handle with a ribbon.
Check Today's
Preserve It . . . Canning Corner
for a really good jam recipe from Julie Thompson
Raspberry Peach Jam!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm confused. First you say here's the recipe for a single batch of bread and then look further down the recipe and it calls for 4 pans. And if you're making it the same day, how much regular shortening do you need?
I'm new to baking bread, so I really would like the recipe for one loaf, at most, two loaves. Thanks-
from California

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

It's kind of like making cookies . . . you get more than you planned on, but the good news . . . bread freezes very well and really is nice to have on hand. If you would like you can just divide the recipe in half. Homemade bread goes a lot faster than store bought bread . . . so I think you'll be glad to have a couple extra loaves. I bet your neighbor wouldn't mind some homemade bread.
It was a great comment, I'm sure it will help to clearify things for others.
Trish

Brooke said...

Is canned butter something I would make or something you buy at the store? Thank you!

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

Brooke,
I would recommend buying canned butter. It lasts for 40 years. Canning butter on your own has been discouraged lately so I wouldn't recommend it. I use my fresh butter when I make my bag meals because the canned butter is about $5.00 a can, a little expensive, but I put it with the bag so that it's there if I need it.
I buy mine at Emergency Essentials or Macey's.
Hope that helps!
Trish

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

The shortening in this recipe is for dehydrated shortening only. I have included other bread recipes for bread using only fresh ingredients, but the dehydrated products make it so that this can be stored on a shelf much easier.
P.S.
I've been looking for the canned butter so that I could give you a link . . . but it's sold out everywhere. I'll keep checking and will post the link as soon as I find one. In the meantime, just remember to keep a little extra butter in your freezer for each of your bag meals.
Trish

Julie said...

Is there a PDF for the cornbread muffins? I'm looking forward to making up some mixes. They sound great!
Thanks Tricia.

Donna said...

I Love your blog and have just given you an award on my blog.

http://flowersnplaid.blogspot.com/2010/07/thank-you-our-busy-homeschool.html

Have fun and pass it along!

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

Thanks Donna!
You're the BEST!

Evelyn said...

I would like to feature your blog on mine...is there an email address I can contact you at?

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

Dede you're my Favorite!
Thanks for always being so thoughtful!
Here you go:
smithest1989@hotmail.com
Thanks Again,
Trish