Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Preparedness Project - Get Ready Box!

Trying to get kids ready in the morning can sometimes
feel like you're trying to herd chickens!
Things can definately get to be a little bit
CrAzY!
You try not to nag . . . but YOU DO, because if you don't
say anything, your little one's are likely to go
for days without brushing their teeth or taking a shower.
This little box has saved my SaNiTy on more than one occassion.
It's called the
Get Ready Box!
Here's how it works . . .
First of all, I made each of my boys a box of their own
in their color using a plastic pencil box.
They have a few different sizes.  I used the smaller one,
but if I had a girl, I might consider getting the larger one.
I filled the box with everything they would need to get ready
in the morning, including:
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Hairspray
Gel
Lotion
Q-Tips
Brush
Comb
and
Deoderant
My boys have used deoderant since they were two years old!
I know you're probably thinking . . .
"What is wrong with this mother?"
Let me explain.
They were going through the motions but not actually
putting any deoderant on.
The safety seal was still in tact and wasn't removed until
they were older and really needed it.
They had no clue!
My reason for doing this is simple . . .
Teenage boys can create smells words can't describe so I wanted
to get a headstart on teaching this good habit . . .
for the sake of all mankind!!!
If they take a shower and do everything in the box,
every morning, they're good to go!
The Get Ready Box has a lot of perks!
No more gooey toothpaste stuck to the
bottom of the bathroom drawer.
No more nagging!
The box lets them be in charge.
Once they've done everything in the box . . .
they know they're done!
It's their responsibility to let me know if they are out
of toothpaste, hairspray, deoderant . . . etc. and
they are in charge of keeping their box clean.
If you can't find a brush or box in their color,
just tie a small piece of ribbon in their color to the items.
Color-Coding is a parent's greatest tool!
If a toothbrush is left out . . . you'll know in seconds
who it belongs to.
Each of my boys have two drawers in the bathroom.
1 for their Get Ready Box and 1 for their towels.
Note:
If you have toddlers, you will want to be there with them,
the whole time.  I can only imagine what they could do with the
contents of this box if left alone.
This is a great time to train and teach them.  They actually like
help and try to do the big kid stuff when they're that age.
The school supplies are on sale . . . EVERYWHERE right now,
so you shouldn't have a problem finding the pencil boxes.
I purchased the rest of the stuff at the dollar store and Walmart.
I refill the hairspray and Q-tips at home to save money.
This Preparedness Project
will help to get you prepared for the new school year
and give you a little time to practice in the meantime!
Another Bag Meal is on the way!

9 comments:

Veronica said...

Oh my heck! This is a great idea! I get tired of repeating myself every morning. And now that school starts this will be my life saver. Thank you!

Cori said...

Ooh, I like this tip. We could definitely use some time management help in the mornings. ;)

Tara M said...

I love this idea. A pencil box would never work for my girl, but also on sale are the locker style stackable crates in Multi colors, so I will try that.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this!!! I actually think herding our chickens is easier than getting my 4 kids ready in the mornings, lol :) Keep the ideas flowing, I'm gonna have a good year this year, I'm gonna, I'm gonna :P

Michelle said...

I have to say this is a great Idea! My 2 year old loves to put on his deorderent just like daddy and if he finds on where he can reach it he uses it! of course it has the lid on. I am going to have to do this for him!!

Unknown said...

Just like all your posts, this is BRILLIANT! Thank you so much for sharing all of your great ideas, you are such an inspiration!

Wilkinson Family said...

I found out about your blog through a friend and all I can say is I LOVE IT!!! It's everything I've ever dreamed of! I have three young boys (ages 3, 2, 1) and I feel like my organizational skills have flown out the window! Trying to get back in my groove I didn't know where to start, but now with all your AMAZING ideas I'm ready to jump in with both feet! First on the list is a Day Keeper and then on to Vital Records! Thank you thank you thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Karolienkie said...

Wow Trish - Found your site through Sugardoodle a couple of months ago!! I have used a few of your ideas but this one is the BEST!!!! We started school this last week, and this has made a HUGE difference on our morning routines and it is so easy!! My 8 year old's remark was - Mom I like our new morning schedule..

Thank you for sharing your gift with us!!

Tamara said...

I had to unexpectedly start working full time this year after being a full time mom for 11 years. I stuggled with how to get the kids and me all ready and out the door by 7:15 am. These boxes are amazing. Even my 5 year old does not need constant reminding. (he loves his "deoderant") Thanks again!