Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Preserve It . . . Canning Corner: Raspberry Peach Jam!

Raspberry Peach Jam
This is My Absolute
Favorite Jam!
Julie Thompson shared this one with me and it's been
seriously mass produced ever since.
Thanks to Carrie for getting me another copy. 
I lost mine when my computer crashed!
The pectin in this recipe is replaced with Jell-O,
so if you're a big fan of Jell-O
YOU'LL LOVE THIS ONE!
Here's the Recipe:
7 c. Peaches (about 15-16 peaches)
2 c. Fresh Raspberries - mashed
(rinse whole berries in cold water and freeze immediately
if not canning same day, to prevent mold.)
10 c. Sugar (about 4 lb.)
3 Small Boxes Raspberry Jell-0
Blanch peaches in boiling water for 60 seconds.
Put immediately in cold water and peel.
Halve and pit peaches.
Place in large bowl.
Squish with hands until peaches are in small chunks.
In a large pot, mix together raspberries, sugar and peaches.
Bring to a boil.
Boil for 20 minutes, while stirring constantly.
Remove from heat.
Add jell-o.
Stir until dissolved.
Pour into pint jars.
Water bath for 15 minutes.
Yields 7-8 pints.
To Make Blackberry Peach Jam
Just replace the Raspberries with Blackberries,
and the Raspberry Jell-O with Blackberry Fusion Jell-O.
Here's the PDF:
This is one of my favorite ways to use my jam:
You can use Rhodes frozen roll dough or homemade roll dough
and the results will be about the same.
To make:
Place rolls into a greased 9x13-inch baking dish.
Pour the jar of prepared jam into a microwave-wave safe bowl.
Heat until warm and pour about 2/3 of it over the rolls.
Let the rolls raise until almost doubled in size.
Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
Mix the remaining 1/3 of the jam with
powdered sugar to make a glaze.
Pour the glaze over the hot rolls and serve warm.
Seriously . . . Ammmmmmazing!

5 comments:

THE PHILLIPS FAMILY said...

Warm rolls and jam are comfort food to me!! So thank you I am so excited to try this yummy sounding jam and the awesome twist you posted! I have 2 questions for you I am trying to put some hygiene kits together and you had posted a place I believe in Ogden where they had great prices I cannot find that post can you tell me the name again? One more thing I love your graphics and I am making recipe books and would love to know where you get your graphics to see if I can use anything...as always your blog is so amazing and I am so addicted!
Thanks so much!
Sade

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

The place in Ogden is called:
Mandalay International
Here's that link:
http://www.humanitarianproducts.com
As far as the graphics go . . . I take about half of the pictures myself, the rest I find through google.
You'll have to let me know what you think of the rolls with a twist.
Hope that helps!
Trish

Shari said...

I made this jam about 3 days ago and it has never set-up. Is that what it is suppose to do? I put a jar in the fridge and that seemed to help it gel a little. It might make a great fruit syrup for pancaked, but I don't think I could put it on a sandwich, it is too runny. If you have any helpful hints to share that would be great.

The Garrett family said...

can you use sugar free jello?

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

You can! Your jam may not have as firm of a set as it would when you use regular jell-o, but as far as preserving and taste go . . . it will be marvelous!
Hope that helps!